Nationwide Van LinesHomeInternational MovingItaly

Where Are You Moving?

Moving From:
Moving to:
Go »
Moving to Italy


Capital: Rome
Population: 60,782,668 (2013)
Area: 116,347 sq. mi
Top 5 Largest Cities: 1. Rome 2. Milan 3. Naples 4. Turin 5. Palermo
Language: Italian
Climate: Humid subtropical, oceanic and humid continental

Excited about moving your household goods to Italy? Not as much as we are! We at Nationwide Van Lines wish to make your overseas move a great experience. Our professional

Required Documents for Import

Assure you have everything of importance to help guide Customs through clearing your HHGS. Below are important documents you may need to make clearance a smooth process.

Import Declaration – A document stating the household goods being shipped.

Customs Value Declaration – A document used to calculate duties and taxes that states the value of the entire household shipment.

Certificate of Origin - You must indicate the country of origin, must be in original ink of the shipper, in its original form, must be issued by the Chamber of Commerce, must contain a watermark or seal on the paper and with detailed descriptions of all goods.

Codice Fiscale – Your Tax Code Number from the Agenzia delle Entrate.

Telepresso – A Diplomatic Franchise you present to the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Diplomats.

Dichiarazione Sostitutiva di Certificazione – A self-certification in which you are responsible for your own declaration. Must include the city of nationality, country of origin of abroad, the number of family members and the date you wish to begin residence in Italy.

Autocertificazione – This document clarifies that you witnessed the signing of documents through your signature of the transfer of residence, the value of your goods and your family status.

Dichiarazione Consolare di Rimpatrio – The Consular Declaration by the Italian Consulate for Italian citizens. Must include period of time of abroad, 12 or more months, the names of family members and date of expected return to Italy.

Permesso a Soggiorno – Your permit to stay by the Police Office Foreign Department.

Power of Attorney – You giving authorization for your Destination Agent to arrange your Customs clearance.

Residency Certificate – In regards of how many members are in the family, their nationality, the departing city and country and planned date of residence in Italy for foreigners.

Consular Declaration – Proving the length of stay abroad, your nationality, names of family members and your repatriation date for Italian citizens.

Import Requirements and Documentation

Proper documentation is a very big part of your successful transport overseas. To help prepare yourself for some of the paperwork to come, please take a look below of the most frequently asked of documents.

  • Original Bill of Lading
  • A copy of your passport
  • Your Residence Visa
  • Power of Attorney to allow your Destination Agent to arrange Customs clearance
  • Work Permit
  • Letter from your employer showing your start date
  • Inventory List in Italian and approved by the Italian Consulate

Additional detailed document requirements

  • List of Artwork and Antiques, if included in your shipment. Must have 2 pictures of each item.
  • You have up to 1 year to import your HHGS and personal effects duty-free from the time you’ve began residency in Italy for national citizens and those exporting from one of the non-European Unions.
  • You have up to 1 year to import your HHGS and personal effects duty-free from the time you’ve departed from your residency abroad for citizens and those exporting from one of the European Unions (EU).
  • You are allowed up to 50 cubic feet of personal effects in baggage.
  • New furniture will incur duties and Value-added Tax (VAT).
  • List of art pieces and antiques with a detailed description of each. It’s recommended to legalize your pieces through the Italian consulate at your origin.
  • Copy of your annual subscription fee for television service for non-Diplomats, citizens and EU nationals.
  • A List of Contents written in Italian for non-Diplomats
  • Inventory List stamped and signed by the Italian Consulate or Embassy at the origin for non-Diplomats, citizens and EU nationals
  • A copy of your Residence Certificate from the Italian City Hall for non-Diplomats
  • Permit to Stay by the Questura Police Office for non-Diplomats

The Examination of Household Goods and Entry Documents

Once your household goods have arrived in Italy along with your documents, both are subjected to examination by Customs. A CBP officer will examine your household goods to determine the value, correct markings, proper invoicing, existence of prohibited items, damages, deterioration and illegal narcotics. It’s important to assure all items are properly described and accounted for to avoid any delays or seizure of items. Once your items are approved for release, they are safeguarded by the proper officers.

Duty and Taxes

As an EU, passing through Customs is extremely easy. Your HHGS duty and taxes are free pending certain restrictions. New items will be charged 2.2% of the Cost, Insurance and Freight (CIF). If any of your items are charged duties, expect it to range from 5 to 20%. If any items requires Value-Added Tax (VAT), there is a 22% charge.

Duty-free Items

To consider your HHGS as duty-free, you must have owned them for a year or more for non-citizens. If you are a citizen, you must have owned your goods for no less than 18 months. You must spend a year or more abroad in order to import your personal effects and HHGS duty-free. Below are some of the EU standards of duty-free items and their restrictions.

EU standards
If moving from Italy, these items will be duty-free:

  • Skincare products
  • Fragrances
  • Champagne
  • Fashion accessories
  • Souvenirs
  • Gifts
  • Cosmetics
  • Selected spirits
  • 800 cigarettes, 200 cigars, 400 cigarillos or 1 kilograms of tobacco
  • 90 liters of wine (if sparkling wine), no more than 60 liters)
  • 10 liters of spirits (over 22%)
  • 20 liters of alcoholic beverages (no more than 22%)
  • 110 liters of beer

If moving from a European Union country, all HHGS will be duty-free with the restrictions below to deem as personal use, not for commercial use or sale:

  • 800 cigarettes, 200 cigars, 400 cigarillos or 1 kilograms of tobacco
  • 90 liters of wine (if sparkling wine), no more than 60 liters)
  • 10 liters of spirits (over 22%)
  • 20 liters of alcoholic beverages (no more than 22%)
  • 110 liters of beer

If moving from a non-European Union country, the following HHGS can be imported by persons 17 years or older duty-free.

  • 16 liters of beer
  • 1 liter of alcohol (over 22%)
  • 2 liters of alcohol (less than 22%)
  • 4 liters of wine
  • 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 100 cigarillos or 250 grams of tobacco
  • Other HHGS up to $546.47 USD in worth for air and sea travelers, $381.26 USD in worth for other travelers and $190.63 USD in worth for children who are 15 years or younger

Labeling and Marking Requirements

The correct labeling and markings are very important for Customs. Each mark and label should be in the English or Italian language. Please take a look below to discover the marking and labeling requirements.

  • The name and address of the importer
  • The country of Origin
  • Clearly numbered in reflection of the inventory list
  • The quantity

Prohibited Items

You want to assure that all of your items you plan to move are able to clear Customs. Please take a look at the following to determine if any of your HHGS are prohibited.

  • Foodstuff
  • Animal skins
  • Protected animal
  • Perfume
  • Gambling machines
  • Any foods including tea, sugar, coffee and pepper
  • Counterfeit items
  • Spirits and wine
  • Plant species
  • Cordless electronics
  • Products of Iran

Restricted Items

There are some restrictions of certain items you may wish to import. Please take a look below at some details to help determine if you have restricted items.

  • Weapons must be on record at the National Catalogue of Weapons. If your weapon does not have a serial number (for USA, Japan, Canada and Australia), you must send it to the National Test Stand at Gardone Val Trompia (BS) to receive a new serial number. It will take 15 to 20 days for any weapons with serial numbers and 2 to 3 months for those without a serial number. To clear your weapon, you must be present physically at Customs. You should also gain an Import License from the city you reside in. Make sure weapons are shipped separately in a crate or carton that’s easy to access.
  • Plastic Kitchenware made of melamine and polyamide deriving from China or Hong Kong must be examined for clearance.
  • Any appliances and/or electronics must have an Import Permit from the Italian Ministry of Posts and Communications accompanying each. Receipts may be asked of.
  • You cannot ship tobacco and alcohol together within the same shipment.
  • Any cultural artifacts that are 50 or more years old are in need of an export license.
  • Medicine must have a prescription from the prescribing doctor.
  • Knives that are double-sided blades will need a police permit.
  • Raw coffee and seeds must have a Phytosanitary inspection.
  • Human hair must have a Health Certificate along with it.
  • Meat and milk and its derivatives are prohibited from most non-EU countries.
  • Swords that are not for ornament use will need a police permit.
  • All audiovisual goods must have its serial number and its trademark. The audiovisual equipment marked “CE” by the European Commission or if purchased prior to January 1996 without the “CE” marking may be imported into Italy.
  • Medical devices, toys, sunglasses, pressure equipment, measuring devices, electronic equipment, radio and telecommunication equipment, chemical substances and pyrotechnic articles all must have the “CE” marking to prevent being seized by Customs.
  • If importing live plants, you must obtain a Phytosanitary Certificate.

Receiving your Household Goods

The liability for duties are paid once Customs has cleared your shipment for release. There are no options of prepaid duties or taxes prior to exportation from a foreign country. Once your shipment is filed with CBP, the party and only the party listed as the receiver can pick up the shipment. If household goods are warehoused, the party of liability can be changed to another party, most whom purchased the goods. The Customs broker cannot pay duties, but can accept a check written out to the Customs and Border Protection to forward. Once items are received, all articles are deemed owned by the receiver and no longer in ownership of the CBP.

For more information regarding moving to Italy, please venture through the links below.

All information featured above is for viewing purposes only. To obtain up-to-date information about overseas shipment, please notify your nearest Consulate.