Nationwide Van LinesHomeInternational MovingHawaii

Where Are You Moving?

Moving From:
Moving to:
Go ยป
Moving to Hawaii


Capital: Honolulu
Population: 1,404,054 (2013)
Area: 10,931 sq. mi
Top 5 Largest Cities:
Lanuage: English and Hawaiian
Climate: Temperate, cold, dry tropical and wet tropic
Motto: "Ua Mau ke Ea o ka' Aina I ka Pono" / "The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness"

Planning on moving from the U.S to Hawaii. Nationwide Van Lines has you covered. Our wonderful staff will guide you through the entire process of sending your household goods overseas successfully. Our goal is to make this as easy as moving state-to-state on our mainland, leaving you stress-free. Contact us today to get you started to Hawaii!

Required Documents for Import

To assist clearing your household goods (HHG), there are certain documents for certain items. Please take a look below at some of the required documents.

Form CF-3299 - Your Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied.

Form CF-6059B - Your Customs Declaration

PPQ Form 505 - Plant and Plant Product Declaration

Permit C - Household Goods Permit if you are importing alcohol.

Import Requirements and Documentation

There are specifics when it comes to documentation needed by Customs. Please take a look at some of the documents required.

  • Your Identification or a copy of your Passport
  • A copy of your Permanent Resident Card
  • Your detailed inventory list in English
  • Your A-1 Visa if you are a Diplomat
  • Form DS-1504 if you are a Diplomat
  • Supplemental Declaration

Additional detailed document requirements

Brokers cannot clear Customs on a CF-3299 entry for foreign Diplomats with an A-q Visa. Do not indicate "Packed by Owner" (PBO) or any miscellaneous descriptions on your inventory list.

  • For antiques, a Detailed Inventory and Purchase Invoice is required. If you are a Diplomat with an A-1 Visa, you must be processed by the Department of State on a DS-1504 Form. This form must be submitted to the Department of State by the Consulate or the Embassy of the Diplomat for at least 10 days prior to shipping.
  • Outdoor items will most likely incur an additional inspection and fumigation.
  • Detailed inspections will occur for shipments containing medication, food products or liquor. The inspections are very costly so avoid importing these items.
  • Every shipment into Hawaii is subject to examination based on the discretion of Customs.

The Examination of Household Goods and Entry Documents

Once your household goods have arrived in Hawaii along with your documents, both are subjected to examination by Customs. A CBP officer will examine your household goods to determine the value, correct markings, proper invoicing, existence of prohibited items, damages, deterioration and illegal narcotics. It's important to assure all items are properly described and accounted for to avoid any delays or seizure of items. Once your items are approved for release, they are safeguarded by the proper officers.

Duty and Taxes

Moving from the U.S to Hawaii is just as easy as moving from state to state in the U.S. You will not have to pay any duties or taxes. Fees can occur if necessary.

Labeling and Marking Requirements

The correct labeling and markings are very important for Customs. Each mark and label should be in the English language. Please take a look below to discover the marking and labeling requirements.

  • The name and address of the importer
  • The country of Origin
  • Clearly numbered in reflection of the inventory list
  • The quantity

Prohibited Items

Not every item is accepted into Hawaii. Please take a look at the items below that are not permitted into Hawaii.

  • Drugs and paraphernalia
  • Absinthe
  • Counterfeit items
  • Flavored cigarettes
  • Haitian animal hide drums
  • Tuna
  • Cloves
  • Cuban cigars
  • Products made from or containing dog and cat fur

Restricted Items

Some items are permit into Hawaii with certain restrictions. Please take a look at the items and their restrictions.

    Artifacts must be checked with your USA agent and the country you are exporting from. Permits will be required.
  • Vegetables
  • Textiles
  • All wood packing materials made in China must be fumigated and have verification through documentation
  • Any goods that are inherited must be 100 years old or more with proper documentation. The item(s) must been available for your use within your residence for at least a year prior to the arrival of your goods into the United States.
  • Any biological materials for public health or for veterinary use requires an Import Permit
  • Plants, soil and seeds requires an Import Permit and the PPQ Form 505
  • Paintings must be of a small value for import
  • Hunting and gaming trophies
  • Pets
  • Ivory items, feathers, shells and skins will be regulated by Fish and Wildlife and will require special permits. The common name, scientific name and place of origin will have to be given to your destination agent.
  • Clothing
  • Guns shipped from the U.S. and previously owned usually can be imported if the military or government personnel finds it satisfactory through documentation. If you did not register your gun prior to exporting from the U.S, a receipt copy, the original export Bill of Lading, a Declaration and inventory may be satisfactory for Customs.
  • Weapons which were purchased overseas usually requires a Federal Firearms permit, but non-residents can apply for a permit through the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearm (ATF) for consideration of import. This application must be done no less than 6 weeks prior to arrival of your shipment. Your Customs broker must be named on the application. It's best to contact the USA agent and provide how and where the weapon was purchased.
  • Any items from an embargoed countries will require a license from the office of Foreign Assets Control
  • Food is not recommended to be imported. If you have food within your shipment, it must be detailed within your Inventory List and also a Food Questionnaire form must be completed.
  • Alcohol can only be shipped in a reasonable amount without incurring commercial duties and taxes. A Liquor Permit from the City and County of Honolulu Liquor Commission on Oahu. Some states do not allow alcohol, thus confirm with the state for alcohol import information. You must have alcohol identified on your inventory list and must be present to apply for a permit for Customs clearance.
  • Meats and its byproducts
  • Fruits
  • Gold

Receiving your Household Goods

Once your shipment is filed with CBP, the party and only the party listed as the receiver can pick up the shipment. If household goods are warehoused, the party of liability can be changed to another party, most whom purchased the goods. The Customs broker cannot pay duties, but can accept a check written out to the Customs and Border Protection to forward. Once items are received, all articles are deemed owned by the receiver and no longer in ownership of the CBP.

For more information regarding moving to Hawaii, please venture through the websites below:

All information featured above is for viewing purposes only. To obtain up-to-date information about overseas shipment, please notify your nearest Consulate.